Online course duration: Approximately 3 to 5 hours, depending on the level of proficiency.
Who should take this course? The AHA’s Heartsaver courses are designed for anyone with little or no medical training who needs first aid and/or CPR training and a course completion card for job, regulatory (e.g., OSHA), or other requirements. Heartsaver courses can also be taken by anyone who wants to be prepared to act in an emergency.
This course offers the flexibility of two different course paths (students to select the appropriate training solution to fit their needs):
Heartsaver Pediatric – Core course path offers the flexibility to add optional topics. Add on optional topics when required topics are completed.
Heartsaver Pediatric Total – Heartsaver Total is designed for childcare professionals and those requiring OSHA or other regulatory agency compliant training.
What does this course teach? After successfully completing this course, students should be able to
- List the duties, roles, and responsibilities of a first aid rescuer
- Describe the 4 key steps in pediatric first aid: prevent, protect, assess, and act
- Remove protective gloves (skill students will demonstrate)
- Find the problem (skill students will demonstrate)
- Describe the assessment and first aid actions for the following life-threatening conditions: difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding, and shock
- Control bleeding and bandaging (skills students will demonstrate)
- Use an epinephrine pen (skill students will demonstrate)
- Recognize elements of common illnesses and injuries
- Describe how to find information on preventing illness and injury
- Describe the risks of smoking and vaping and the benefits of a healthy lifestyle
- Describe how high-quality CPR improves survival
- Explain the concepts of the Chain of Survival
- Recognize when someone needs CPR
- Perform high-quality CPR for all age groups
- Describe how to perform CPR with help from others
- Give effective breaths by using mouth-to-mouth or a mask for all age groups
- Demonstrate how to use an AED on children and adults
- Describe when and how to help someone who is choking
- Recognize the legal questions that apply to first aid rescuers
- NOTE: Course objectives vary based on the course topics taught.