Minnesotan Jerry Chiaverini was out riding his bike this summer when he started feeling what he thought was indigestion. Fortunately, however, his wife, Lora Lee, a registered nurse with St. Luke’s Hospital in Duluth, had recently seen the American Heart Association’s new campaign, Don’t Die of Doubt . Lora Lee convinced Jerry that he needed to go to the emergency department. A week later he was having triple bypass surgery.
Don’t Doubt: Call 911 if these symptoms appear
Heart Attack Symptoms
- Chest discomfort that can feel like pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain
- Pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach
- Shortness of breath
- Other signs may include a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness.
If you think someone is having a stroke, think F.A.S.T.
- Face drooping on one side or numb
- Arm weakness
- Speech that’s slurred, difficulty speaking
- T stands for time to call 911.